Sunday 25 September 2011

Affordances

Entry 4 scrap-booking

 “Work provides an ‘artificial’ world of things, distinctly different from all natural surroundings. Within its borders each individual life is housed, while this world itself is meant to outlast and transcend them all” (Arendt, 1958, p. 7).

Scrap-booking is an activity that turns a world of feelings, memories, expressing oneself into a history that can be passed onto the next generation. I do this activity with my daughter, hoping that this will strengthen our relationship. It is a special way of teaching and showing her the past, here and now, as reference for her future. At times, it gets a bit frustrating when she uses the tools differently from me, and this makes me worry that she might hurt herself. This takes communication to a deeper level, as I express my love for her.

Scrapbooking connects me with my daughter, and we learn how to put together related photos to create albums in which photos lead to a story. For instance:



This is the scrapbook that I made.

This is the photo
that I put in the scrapbook that I made.
                                                                                          
This is my daughter                                                      
who is in the photo
that I put in the scrapbook that I made.

This is the cat
that plays with my daughter
who is in the photo
that I put in the scrapbook that I made.

This is my father
who feeds the cat
that plays with my daughter
who is in the photo
that I put in the scrapbook that I made.

Burden: because scrap-booking is mainly a relaxing activity, there is no pressure of getting it right other than making sure nothing is damaged in the process. It is about having fun with my family and friends.
Joy: scrap-booking is about me making other people happy, helping them enjoy the experience. It is also a great opportunity for my daughter to improve on her motor skills and process skills which in return give her a feeling of achieving something beautiful. 
 
The only concern that may rise from my conscience is that the cost of scrap-booking is quite high, while some people in the world are suffering of hunger or have no homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment